To coach in the Diocese of Cleveland CYO, an individual must first be approved by the member administrator and athletic director of the sponsoring member.
Once approved, all CYO coaches must adhere to the responsibilities and meet the requirements outlined below.
- Coaches are responsible to know and be an example of the CYO Mission & Values and the CYO Philosophy, outlined in CYO Charter Articles 2 and 3 of the CYO Charter & Bylaws.
- Coaches are required to attend annual pre-season coaches meetings and identified training sessions.
- Coaches are responsible to teach the rules of the sport and the proper skills, techniques, strategies, and tactics for their sport in an age-appropriate manner.
- Coaches are responsible to conduct themselves in an appropriate fashion at practice and competitions, to wear required credentials and to be in accordance with Bylaw 8.
- Coaches are responsible for the supervision of their team at practices and competitions, as well as the conduct of their spectators at competitions.
- Coaches must be represented at all scheduled practices, games and other events.
- Coaches may not hold closed practices. Parents, CYO leaders, and parish leadership may attend practices and contests and are expected to demonstrate behaviors that uphold the mission, values, and best practices of CYO.
- It is recommended and encouraged to have women acting as head or assistant coaches in girls’ sports. When a girl’s team is coached by men only, it is required that a woman 18 years of age or older be associated with the team, and in attendance at all practices and games. In the case of a woman coaching a boys team, it is required that a man 18 years of age or older be associated with the team, and is in attendance at all practices and games.
- Grade School: 19 years of age or older
- High School: 25 years of age or older
- Grade School: 16 years of age or older
- High School: 18 years of age or older
Every coach, both head and assistant, must attend the Coaches Development Program, and complete the requirements below before coaching their first practice.
Once a coach completes all of the Diocesan requirements, the member’s volunteer coordinator will issue the coaching credential. Every coach that is on a sideline or bench must wear their credential throughout the CYO event.
- Complete a volunteer application
Obtain a copy from your volunteer coordinator or member athletic director.
- Attend VIRTUS or an approved abuse prevention program
- Register at virtusonline.org.
- Click the "First-time registrant" button on the left-hand side to create an account, or log in with your user ID and password if you previously created an account.
- Select "Cleveland, OH (Diocese)" in the drop-down menu.
- *NOTE: Assistant coaches who are 16 & 17 years old are not required to completed VIRTUS
- Read and acknowledge the following policies
Obtain a fingerprint-based background check
Fingerprinting is available at each Coaches Development Program session.
Complete the Concussion Awareness Course
This must be renewed every three years. View our Concussion Awareness Course page for more information on the program.
Complete Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) training
View the SCAT video now and download the information sheet.