Posted September 15, 2023
Today marks the start of Hispanic Heritage Month and to celebrate, Catholic Charities would like to highlight some events and activities that will be taking place!
But first, what is Hispanic Heritage Month, when did it start, and why does it start in the middle of the month?
Hispanic Heritage Month is a way to acknowledge the history of Hispanic culture and the achievements made by those in the Hispanic community.
September 15th was chosen to be the start date because many Latin American countries celebrate their independence on or around this day.
Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua all celebrate their independence from Spain on the 15th, Mexico on the 16th, and Chile on the 18th.
There are many things you can do to celebrate and acknowledge this month but here are a few:
- Tonight, the Cleveland Guardians have a Hispanic Heritage Celebration at their home game! Click the button below for ticket sales.
- September 16: Julia De Burgos Cultural Arts Center will be hosting a celebration with music, dancing, and traditional food! This event is free!
- September 23: Tacos and Tequila Music Fest at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton. Click the button below for ticket sales.
- September 30: Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland from noon to 4 pm. This event is free!
- October 15: Stephen Sanchez is coming to the House of Blues! Click the button below for ticket sales.
- Today through October 1st. the LatinUS Theater Co presents René Marqués’ Los Soles Truncos! Show times are Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 pm and Sunday at 2:30 pm. Click the button below to view ticket sales!
There are also many places to go with friends and family during this month to enjoy authentic Hispanic food!
- Tacos and Tequila: 1220 Huron Rd E, Cleveland, OH 44115
- Blue Agave Street Tacos & Margaritas: 2071 E 4thSt. Cleveland OH 44115
- Jibaro Latin Restaurant: 6152 Broadview Rd. Parma OH 44134
- Las Dos Fronteras: 3292 Fulton Rd. Cleveland OH 44109
- Las Villas Deli and Pastries: 3216 W. 41st. St. Cleveland OH 44109
- Barroco: Lakewood, Crocker Park, Willoughby
- Pupuseria y Antojitos Guanaquitas: 2998 W 25thSt. Cleveland OH 44113
- La Plaza Taqueria: 13609 Lakewood Heights Blvd. Cleveland OH 44107
These are just a few of the many Latino restaurants in the Cleveland area! For more recommendations click the button below to view a larger list from thisiscleveland.com
Catholic Charities has been serving the Hispanic community in Cleveland for over 40 years helping those cope with personal and social problems of all ages and families as a whole.
With a bilingual and bicultural staff we can provide a variety of services that can help.
Some of the services we provide include drug and alcohol prevention, senior center, emergency assistance services, mental health counseling, and more!
Want to learn more about our services? Click the button below!